The Young Democrats actually put out the video above. A funny follow-up below:
You should be a Democrat because:
"Hope is the stuff of dreams"
"Because of the Patriot Act" which apparently he missed Obama's reauthorization of...woops!
"I'm a Democrat because I believe the government should take care of its citizens," personal responsibility and individual liberty be damned.
"I'm a Democrat because we are the party of civil rights"...except when they are leading the charge for segregation and slavery. This is the most offensive statement in the video. Since education seems to have failed these Young Democrats, some missing facts on the Democratic Party's record as it relates to civil rights:
- The Democratic Party adopted 6 party platforms in support of slavery from 1840 to 1860.
- Seven Democratic presidents owned slaves.
- The Democratic Party platform adopted 20 party platforms in support of segregation.
- It is a fact that Democrats opposed the 13th, 14th and 15th amendments to the Constitution. The 13th banned slavery. The 14th effectively overturned the infamous 1857 Dred Scott decision (made by Democratic pro-slavery Supreme Court justices) by guaranteeing due process and equal protection to former slaves. The 15th gave black Americans the right to vote.
- The Democrats opposed the Civil Rights Act of 1866. It was passed by the Republican Congress over the veto of President Andrew Johnson, who had been a Democrat before joining Lincoln's ticket in 1864. The law was designed to provide blacks with the right to own private property, sign contracts, sue and serve as witnesses in a legal proceeding.
- The Democrats opposed Civil Rights Act of 1875. It was passed by a Republican Congress and signed into law by President Ulysses Grant. The law prohibited racial discrimination in public places and public accommodations.
- The Democrats' 1904 platform, which devotes a section to "Sectional and Racial Agitation," claiming the GOP's protests against segregation and the denial of voting rights to blacks sought to "revive the dead and hateful race and sectional animosities in any part of our common country," which in turn "means confusion, distraction of business, and the reopening of wounds now happily healed."
- Democrats segregated the federal government, at the direction of President Woodrow Wilson upon taking office in 1913.
- And of course, the fact that three-fourths of the opposition to the 1964 Civil Rights Bill in the U.S. House came from Democrats, or that 80% of the "nay" vote in the Senate came from Democrats. Certainly there is no reference to the fact that the opposition included future Democratic Senate leader Robert Byrd of West Virginia (a former Klan member) and Tennessee Senator Albert Gore Sr., father of Vice President Al Gore.
The fact that these Young Democrats believe this is either a measure of the failings of our education system or a measure of the success of the Democrats to whitewash history. You be the judge.